Are you interested in attending the national Research Institute for Public Libraries (RIPL) event in Madison, Wisconsin, July 23-26, 2023? Do you have facilitation skills that you want to use at RIPL?
We will be selecting up to 12 RIPL participants to serve as facilitators during the institute.
- already be planning to participate in RIPL because of their interest in strengthening their skills in data and evaluation,
- have experience facilitating small group activities and discussions, and
- be committed to encouraging participant involvement in group activities and discussions and fostering connections among participants, instructors, and staff.
Prior experience with data and evaluation is a bonus, but is not required. RIPL alumni as well as those who are new to RIPL are welcome to apply.
RIPL is designed to be an immersive and highly participatory learning experience, and RIPL facilitators play a vital role in insuring that participants are actively engaged in the hands-on activities and discussions that occur throughout the institute. Each facilitator is assigned to one group of approximately 7 participants who they will sit with during all general sessions and some meals to facilitate group work.
RIPL facilitators have the full participant experience. Facilitators will participate in the same sessions as everyone else, be able to choose which breakout sessions to attend, etc. The only difference is that facilitators will have some added benefits and responsibilities, as described below.
Benefits to facilitators include:
- Discounted registration fee: $450. The registration fee includes dinner on 7/23 and breakfast and lunch on 7/24, 7/25, and 7/26.
- Guaranteed spot at RIPL 2023.
- Enhanced experience because of the opportunity to get a behind-the-scenes look at the institute design and curriculum.
Pre-institute responsibilities include the following:
- Attending two 60-minute online trainings prior to the event to learn more about the facilitator role and to become familiar with the group work that instructors have planned.
- Reviewing any discussion guides, activity instructions, etc. that instructors provide ahead of time.
During RIPL, facilitators are responsible for:
- Attending the full event, beginning with dinner on July 23 and ending mid-afternoon on July 26.
- Sitting with their assigned group during general sessions and some meals and facilitating discussions, learning activities, etc.
- Connecting the members of their group with RIPL instructors/staff if they have questions or want to discuss topics that they aren’t able to address.
- Connecting with other facilitators at touch points in the institute as necessary.
How to Apply:
To be considered for a facilitator position, you must submit an application by 8 PM Eastern/5 PM Pacific on Friday, November 19, 2022. Learn more about the application process and access the online application form here. Applicants will be notified of their acceptance status by January 6, 2023.